Saturday, February 4, 2012

How to destroy the MCAT with minimal study time (Part 1- Study Material and Strategies)

Update (7/18/2014): Commenting has been disabled- it's been more than 4 years since I wrote the MCAT & I don't think I should continue giving out random advice & the new MCAT will render a good chunk of my MCAT-related writing obsolete. Good luck to everyone, regardless.

Prior to writing the MCAT after my second year (summer, 2010), I had been researching on the MCAT and its “secrets” for over a year. It was almost as if I knew I would have very little time to study for it—which was fortunate, because I really did have very little time to study due to previously unforeseen circumstances. All the prep I did prior to actual studying helped minimize the amount of time needed to do well on the MCAT, which is why I always stress the importance of research.

So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.

Best Study Material

Using the most effective study material is probably the most important factor in studying for the MCAT (other than actually studying). There are significant differences between major test prep companies and their materials, with some obviously being better than the others. After thorough, thorough research across premed forums (SDN, premed101), I was able to determine optimal material for each section of the MCAT as well as corresponding study strategies.

***Important to note: You will not succeed on the MCAT by memorizing all the facts, formulas, minute detail in prep books. Understanding the concepts outlined and correctly applying them on the test material is the only approach you should be taking—to do that well, you need ample practice with the best material.

But wait, why should you listen to me?
Good point. Short answer is- I studied for exactly 18 days before my MCAT. My scores were in the top ~2% percentile. I will elaborate on my story in a later post- it is a thrilling tale; I wish to do it justice.

Learning the Material

This really depends on your background—if you have an extensive background in the sciences, use Kaplan to review concepts you’ve learnt before as the Kaplan prep books are not overtly detailed and provide a good general overview of the concepts. If your background is not in sciences, I would recommend Princeton Review (Or even Berkeley Review, but those are hard to come by) for their detailed outline of the material. As long as you understand the concepts, you should be fine.


Practice for Physical Sciences (PS), Biological Sciences (BS)

For the two science sections, Kaplan practice tests are the way to go. In terms of difficulty (on average):

Kaplan PS, BS > Actual MCAT >>> AAMC practice tests

Other test prep companies fall somewhere below the actual MCAT. Kaplan is consistently cited as having the most difficult practice tests—by the time you get to write the actual beast, the PS and BS sections will seem so much easier because you’ve spent all your time tackling passages and questions that were significantly harder.

Study Strategy
  • Work through as many practice test as you possibly can.
    • After a few practice tests, you should do all your practice under strict timed conditions.
  • For every question you answer incorrectly, read the solutions manual and completely understand the concept behind the question before doing any more practice.
In my case, I worked my way through about 10 practice tests each for PS and BS. On the actual MCAT, I had a decent run through PS, breezed through BS. After endless hours of ripping through countless practice tests, I found that I understood the concepts much more clearly and could easily see through the passages and questions to find the answer.


Verbal Reasoning (VR)

Practice. Only practice, and learning from your mistakes & adjusting your strategy accordingly will help you here. However, the gold standard for VR practice is the Examkrackers 101 Passages, as well as their VR strategies book (Verbal Reasoning and Mathematical Techniques). Every other test prep companies fall way below EK with regards to difficulty, accurate representation of the actual MCAT and quality practice questions.

Strategy

This is the EK strategy for approaching VR:

(adapted from premed101)

1. Read the passage critically (attack it like you are a professor reading a student's work)
2. Take a 5 second break before each passage, including the first one. This helps you to maintain focus on the passage.
3. Read every word.
4. Try not to go back to the passage so much (they recommend doing a few passage questions without reading the passage at all, to show that you can gain a lot of info from the question stems and answers themselves)
5. Do the passages from start to finish. You have to read every single passage and attempt to answer them.
6. Don't get caught up on the hard questions - if you aren't finishing on time, then you have to learn to give up and move on.

The above strategies are excellent (and has worked very well for many people), but eventually you will find your own personalized method of tackling VR passages. In terms of studying:
  • Do not use more than one practice test in a day—there are only ~14 (golden) EK practice tests available, you want to maximize their use by spreading them out.
  • After each practice test, look to see what questions you answered incorrectly, assess what you’re doing wrong and make adjustments to your strategy to improve. Continue making adjustments until you’re scoring at a consistent range (10-11).
  • Learn to have the framework of the entire passage in your head before answering the questions.
Part 1- End. My score breakdown: 12/11/14/R (PS/VR/BS/WS)

Part 2 will discuss the Writing Sample (WS) as well as general advice.


Matt

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! Cool blog :) I was wondering if u mind me asking what your verbal score was? Because I am rewriting mcat mainly for verbal and I already used EK 101...keep hitting 8s-9s. ANy other materials you recommend? (besides the obvious AAMC exams) Thanks!

Matt said...

My verbal score ended up as 11, more than what I was hoping for :)
Other than EK, you can try the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal- it has been receiving a lot of positive comments. Another possibility (if you run out, which could happen) is LSAT reading comprehension practice material, which I'm told is very similar to MCAT verbal. Berkeley Review is also quite good for verbal (as well as other sections) but those are very hard to come by, especially in Canada. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

this is really helpful dude! thanks so much! i'm actually from Western so we're rivals, but u have my respect for this ;)

HS said...

Thanks for this!
I'm having a really hard time REMEMBERING what I just read when I'm done.. :( Therefore, I have the tendency to keep going back to the passage on my attempts of answering each question.. Maybe my reading efficiency/proficiency is poor..?

2. What words/ sentences do you highlight?

3. Also, do you have any suggestions on questions that ask about the central idea/ the tone/ author's argument?
By the way, awesome blog :) As a pre-med myself (by the looks of your MCAT score, you probably already got in? :)), I'm finding this extremely helpful.

Matt said...

1. If you're having trouble with remembering the passage, people have generally done a couple of things:

-Take short notes after each paragraph (or each section) to help you get a general idea of what that section was about when you're done reading.

And/or

-As you read, keep a general framework of the passage in your head and add to it as you continue reading (basically continuously memorizing general ideas from previous parts).

Find what works for you- everyone struggles with verbal and you have to figure out what's best. It may be that you're just not trying/concentrating hard enough?

2. You don't want to highlight any specific words/sentences, since it draws your attention away from the big picture- which is what you're supposed to be getting as you read.

3) Refer to 2), if you get the big picture (which is basically the author's idea, argument, tone) then you should have no problem.

4) I'm still applying (hence the title of the blog). Sadly, a high MCAT score doesn't really help much in this country...

z2q said...

How can the actual mcat be more difficult than the AAMC's? Weren't the AAMC's actual MCATs at one point or another?

Matt said...

Hi z2q,

Only the "latest" AAMC practice tests are somewhat close to the actual in terms of difficulty- ones like 9, 11. Even then, some of the later ones are less representative of the actual thing- for example, general consensus of people having taken these is that AAMC tests #7, 9 (before the release of #11) were the most representative of the real thing while others (1-6, 8) were not. These practice exams are composed of collections of items from previous MCATs, and not necessarily actual MCATs at one point.

z2q said...

Okay, I see. What's your opinion on the TPR practice tests? Harder than actual MCAT? I've been hearing that TPR tests are quite a bit more difficult than the actual MCAT, especially the later ones (3,4,5).

Matt said...

Regarding the regular TPR practice tests- they're bad for verbal, but good for science sections (definitely harder than AAMC). However, there have been complaints that TPR has "unnecessarily" difficult passages and is in a style that is not exactly representative of the real MCAT.

TPR hyperlearning tests are great for everything (esp. verbal), but it's quite hard to get those.

z2q said...

Thanks a lot!

Sorry to ask so many questions but, what are the hyperlearning tests? I took a TPR prep course but I don't seem to have access to any. How do you get them?

Matt said...

I believe the hyperlearning tests are only given to people who take the TPR course- if you look here for example: http://www.amazon.ca/Princeton-Review-Hyperlearning--Class-Compendium/dp/B0036FKYE8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1344737251&sr=8-9

Did you not get the Science and Verbal workbooks? Those are the ones you're looking for.

Anonymous said...

Did you take the practice tests with Kaplan online or using their book(s)? And overall, which practice tests did you do on a computer vs. printed/hard-copy/books? Ex. EK with their books, AAMC online, etc?

Mel said...

Hey matt love your blog. was wondering did you use only CBTS Kaplan? I have access to the older version kaplan tests the paper one. would it still be beneficial?

Matt said...

Hey- the majority of the Kaplan tests I practiced with were older version paper tests. I did 3 computer-based Kaplan tests online (which came with the big book).

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt,

So I don't have access to the 10 or so CBTs that come with the course, but I bought a book that comes with 2 paper and 2 online practice tests. The material is definitely more difficult than AAMCs in my opinion, but the scores seem to be way inflated. Is that how your exams were as well? I'm wondering if the scoring scales for the CBTs are similar.

Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi, Matt,
I was wondering for you MCAT, did you read the physical sciences (biology, physics, chem, ochem) or you just did only practice tests? It has been long since I took my courses and it is hard to understand the physical sciences when I read the MCAT review books.

Tony said...

Hey Matt, this is awesome! I love the blog. Will be following it more :)

Just a quick question: for me biology is my worst section. What do you think is the best review for biology and how should I go about improving my score? Thanks man!

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

I was wondering what you think about the Princeton Review Summer Bootcamp Course and if it is a good idea to score well on the MCAT?

Anonymous said...

hey about the Princeton summer bootcamp, I have done it before, i personally was't happy with the outcome. its just wayyyy too fast and condensed. if its your second or third time taking the mcat then i would say its not a bad idea, but not if its your first exposure.

Anonymous said...

So you think I should not take the Bootcamp because I think its the fact that I get too distracted easily from my friends and family which is why I was going to do the bootcamp this summer where I will be fully into it and also I have just finished take a Kaplan course but I was not fully into the course. You think I can score over a 30 with this course?

Matt said...

I don't know anything about this course- but whatever it is, it's what you make out of it. If you pay attention and do everything you're supposed to do, you will do well (unless the course is utter crap, which I doubt). If you've already done a course, I don't think another expensive course will be too useful for you. Focus on solving as many practice tests as possible (provided you have a solid understanding of the material).

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,
Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing these wonderful informations. I am trying to get my hands on full length kaplan practice exams (old of new), but not successful so far. I cant afford to register for their classes, buying the big book only gives me 4 exams...i need your help pls. If you have any idea where to buy it....
thanks again for the posts.
you are an angel.

Anonymous said...

I need your opinion! I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on 7/26/13. I scored a 29 on AAMC #8...it pretty much ruined the little confidence I had. I've been scoring consistently between 30-32 on my other AAMC exams and was improving with every test until #8. Should I postpone or get over the #8 score and go balls out until my scheduled date? I've been studying 6 days a week, 8 hours a day, for the past two months. Now that I'm a month away, I plan on doing 12 hour days up until a day before the test. Please let me know what you think!

Matt said...

I would agree with going balls out until your scheduled date... but 12 hours/day seems a bit too much- I found that (and I think you might agree) that anything after 8 hours is counterproductive. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, I was just curious as to the break down of your scores. I see that you got an 11 on the verbal. What about PS and BS?

Unknown said...

Hi, Iam currently taking a tpr course. Can you please tell me what hyperlearning tests you are referring to? is that the correct title of those tests, because I dont see that specific title in my contents.

much appreciation

Joe said...

Hey Matt,

I am also wondering about this. I don't have the coursework under my belt for the bio section (no physio/anatomy/biochem/micro) but I really want to get the exam done this September. My PS/verbal are manageable on recent Kaplan practice, but what core topics do you recommend I study intensely and try to understand fundamentally for bio if I only have 4 weeks left and most of that time will be spent taking Kaplan/AAMC practice exams?

"Tony said...

Hey Matt, this is awesome! I love the blog. Will be following it more :)

Just a quick question: for me biology is my worst section. What do you think is the best review for biology and how should I go about improving my score? Thanks man!"

Matt said...

Hi Joe,

If you don't have any coursework for the bio section, it would be best if you do a more thorough material review before doing any practice tests. For material review (esp. without coursework), I would suggest Princeton over Kaplan as they give more in-depth and detailed topic review of all the sections... and it covers all the core topics extensively so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

I'm thinking you could spend 1 week on heavy review and the following 3 weeks for practice tests.

Also- don't use Kaplan for verbal. Examkrackers all the way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, I've just completed the kaplan topical for neaely every section (not the physics 2, o chem, or verbal).

i havent taken a full length under timed conditions yet. this mcat is a retake (i took it 2.5 years ago and used all of the aamcs then). im trying to figure out what to do next as my test date is sept 7.
Option 1) tpr hyperlearning workbook for science and verbal. I will alternate between PS and BS each day. I will do verbal every day. The goal is 10-15 passages a day + review.

Option 2) Untimed kaplan test or tpr hyperlearning practice test. I will do 2-3 to get me up to speed, then begin doing timed exams every ay, with the day in between using the tpr workbook to do passages on the items missed in
content wise, im fairly good on everything except for 1 electrochemistry in chem, physics 2 (light/optic

Matt said...

Hey,

Option 1 sounds better- TPR hyperlearning > Kaplan (and you can always do Kaplan when you run out). ... and + Examkrackers for verbal as well. All timed preferably, of course.

I'm not too sure about verbal every day- I think it's just one of those things you don't improve by doing practice tests every day- probably better to space them out and let it sink in between days by reviewing. Just my opinion. Try every day at first and see how it feels. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Matt, I'll focus on the tpr hyperlearning for all sections... I've used the exam krackers 101 passages unfortunately 2.5 years ago when I retook the exam.
I'm not quite sure how I should be reviewing my verbal passages though? I do have the tpr verbal workbook so I will work through that as well with the noted exam krackers method.
Just to get this clear, after you would miss a question, you would then write out the answer/how to solve that type of problem on another sheet of paper and then review each sheet as they compounded every night of the concepts you missed?

One more thing... In terms of full length exams that I should be doing, what do you suggest in my case? I don't have access to the tpr hyperlearning exams (just workbook). I do have the kaplan paper exams, as well as all of the aamc's.

In terms of doing verbal everyday; I am going to begin by doing 2 passages daily until Monday where I will begin alternating every other day (and not on days of full lengths).

Matt said...

I think if you used them 2.5 years ago, you're okay to use them again.

I didn't write out the answer/how to solve that type of problem- just noted in my head some info such as:

a) Why I got that question wrong: referring to the detailed answers booklet as well
b) Did I make similar mistakes/wrong answers? Is there a pattern?

For example- did I get a lot more wrong in social sciences? Did the questions I get wrong have something in common (usually did)?

c) How do I improve?

In terms of the tests- Kaplan paper exams should do for now (and later nearer to the exam start doing AAMCs). Examkrackers for verbal though.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reply Matt! I actually took the MCAT on august 9 (was scheduled for it and was too late to change the date, so I just took it for practice) and voided it and rescheduled for Sept 11 2013.

Why? I wanted to get a feel of where I was in terms of timing and what not on the real test day and how my nerves acted.

So every test is different I understand. Heres how it broke down..

PS- (very difficult section) Ran out of time with 1 passage left and the final 4 discretes (completely guessed on the 4 discretes without looking at question).

Verbal-(the consensus on this exam from what I have read is this was the easiest verbal people have seen.. not good) Ran out of time with 2 passages unread and had to completely guess on the answers.

Bio- Not bad at all, but this may be attributed to my very strong background in Biology (doctorate degree).

So what I learned for me at least...
Ps- I need to really focus on the most abstract passages I can find.

Verbal- My plan of reading the entire passage as a whole and then trying to understand what was said by the author by the end of it, didn't work. I would read the questions and was unsure on nearly every question as to what the answer was. That is something I seriously need to fix. Those humanities passages were killer.


So after taking this exam I think I have found how I can alleviate this problem of timing I have, and that is practice. Practice with the hardest material there is actually. Easy questions became easier, and harder questions will become not so bad. Also, I can't get hung up on a question no matter how difficult it is. This was a reason why I fell apart on PS when I hit a specific passage that was just completely out there.

I'll keep you updated on this journey, and I will

Unknown said...

Hey Matt,

Great posts!! They are very informative and to the point. Where did you get the Kaplan PS and BS section practice tests? I can't find these anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Logan

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

Very helpful blog, I already wrote the MCAT and am taking it again for a higher mark. I noticed you said there are 14 examkracker practice exams available, where did you access these? I downloaded the book and only have the questions at the end, which are great by the way. But are there specifically 14 MCAT format practice exams, and if so where can I find them?

Thanks!

watlab said...

Matt,

I just posted a post but the library connection had to reconnect. So if it comes up twice I apologize.

I am taking the Kaplan paper tests now. I realize that they are a bit harder, which I like. I was wondering if you could post your old scores, or range of scores. I am having a hard time to gage what to think about the scores. I have only done two test so far and both had 10-11 on sciences and 8 on verbal. I need to keep working. Can you also break down the sections for effectiveness?

ALso when did you incorporate the AAMC test while doing these Kaplan paper tests?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks!