Monday, April 21, 2014

Enslaved by brains: a ragecomic representation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Cerebral_lobes.png
I previously mentioned that I started work in a research lab after graduation. People have asked me, both on the blog and email, what I actually do at work... truthfully, I wasn't completely sure of what I was doing until recently. Simply put (without being specific and compromising anonymity due to some recently published work)- I look at brains. I look at a lot of brains. Different kinds of brains. My work consists of:

1. Look at brains.
2. Make cool & pretty pictures.
3. Draw dots and lines.
4. Look at more brains.
5. Repeat 1-4

To illustrate, here is what a work day looks like for me (for those who's familiar with this line of work, of course I don't work with all imaging modalities- just a few from below):

Figure 1. Enslaved by brains.

I look at brains at work, commute home, then look at more brains... up to a maximum of 13 hours a day. Craploads of brains. Clearly, I like brains. This has been going on for ~1.5 years now.

Something important to note is that I initially started this job mostly as a back-up plan... but as time passed, I started to really enjoy working in research. So much that I applied for PhD programs, not as a back-up (especially considering I'm terrible at interviews by consensus, and truly not hopeful for anything in May) but as an alternative path for me to choose. Throughout undergrad, I barely considered research at all since it didn't seem interesting- so I ruled it out altogether.... but I happened to find the perfect supervisor & lab & field, all at the same time and things fell in place. At this time, I can say that I'm a little more passionate about research than medicine, and will be continuing research regardless of what happens in the near future. Funny how things change.

Lessons learned: 
-Science is hard, but cool. Brains even more so.
-Don't rule out possible opportunities and paths in life. Med school really isn't everything.
-From my biased, entirely personal point of view (entirely due to the fact that I've been having a hard time with interviews): if you're bad at med school interviews, you might enjoy research more than medicine. More on that later.

Matt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a current medical student, I have one advice for you: please stop this blinded pursuit of med schools. There are so many better things in life. You're just wasting time and money.

Honestly, try other pursuits. Maybe nursing? Maybe PhD/Master's? Medicine is not worth all the trouble you're going through, and, most importantly, the fact you're wasting your best years in life just wandering around is painful. Best of luck this cycle, but time to face the music, Matt.

Matt said...

You must have trouble reading things- since I did apply for PhD programs & missing the whole point of the above post... but no need to worry about me, what I'm doing currently is far from wandering around or any waste of time.

Laysay Dursteak said...

Great post! I enjoyed reading it. Look forward to reading more when I get a chance!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mat!

Why was applying to US a bad idea?